Sunday, March 30, 2008

Moving munchies


Two of my favorite people in the world moved yesterday.

Don't worry. They didn't move away, just a few doors down from where they were before.

However, this meant a moving gala! And when I say 'gala', I mean 'enlisting friends to move things approximately fifty steps'. And also 'moving a cat'. The cat moving is always the most fun.

This was the perfect occasion for me to make something and to keep part of it. I find that the things I make for this blog sometimes go to waste, but I try to make sure they don't. Most of the time, they find a good home. In this case, half a tray of my favorite brownies ever made it to their doorstep.

This was the first time making these brownies with my baby, and they came out fluffy and over the pan. I also added in some of the leftover white chocolate chips from the Malted Mousse Cake recipe down below, because I really don't like white chocolate much at all and figured others might enjoy it better in such a rich brownie.



So, what brownie did I make? This recipe comes out moist and sickeningly rich every time. It's made from cocoa, not chocolate, so the flavor is almost too rich--but not quite. I made mine in a 9x9 pan and they were still very thick, though I used to make them in a pie pan and cut them out in small slices.

AB's Cocoa Brownies recipe can't be beat. It's even good with add-ins: Bailey's, mint extract, pumpkin pie spice. I like mine plain the best.


Sometimes while I'm photographing, I like to pretend I'm floating in a sea of chocolate batter.



Cocoa Brownies with White Chocolate Chips
adapted from Alton Brown, Good Eats


4 large eggs
1 cup sugar, sifted
1 cup brown sugar, sifted
8 ounces melted butter
11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6-8 oz. Ghirardelli White Chocolate Chips


Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Pam (for Baking) an 8- or 9-inch square pan.
In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.

Pour the batter into a 8-inch square pan worked with non-stick spray and bake for 45 minutes. When it's done (knife test), remove to a rack to cool.


1 comment:

kellypea said...

Yum. Brownies sound really good right now, and I've been looking at white cakes all day, so these must really be terrific.